KubeCon and ContainerNativeCon-17 Updates
Joint meetup event report to cover KubeCon and ContainerNativeCon 17 Updates and Kubernetes Storage
This year's KubeCon and ContainerNativeCon NA was scheduled between 6th to 8th Dec'17 in Austin. Bangalore Docker Meetup, Bangalore CNCF and Meson Meetup, Bangalore Kubernetes Meetup, Bangalore OpenShift and Kubernetes Meetup meetup groups of Bangalore decided to come together to do a joint meetup, to review the event on 16th Dec'17. Microfocus hosted the event at their Baghmane Tech Park office.
After a few round of discussions, we decided on the following agenda:-
- KubeCon and CloudNativeCon'17 review - Krishna M Kumar / Kumar Gaurav - YouTube(00:01:27 - 00:24:00)
- What coming in Kubernetes 1.9 ? - Dhilip Kumar/Irfan Ur Rehman - YouTube(00:33:00 - 00:54:00)
- First KubeCon experience - Nikhita Raghunath - YouTube(01:00:27 - 01:09:00)
- Extending Kubernetes 101 - Nikhita Raghunath - YouTube(01:09:00- 01:26:29)
- Evolution of Kubernetes Storage - Neependra Khare - YouTube(01:36:44 - 02:11:00)
- CloudNative Storage and Demo of OpenEBS - Umasankar Mukkara - YouTube(02:21:16 - 02:49:11)
- Postgres HA in Kubernetes - S G Karthik - YouTube(02:54:00 -03:20:00)
Other than the event updates, we ended up discussing Kubernetes's storage aspect. Out of 200+ registration, ~110 participants showed up on the event day. The event started in time and went smoothly. We live-streamed and recorded the event.
During the first half of the event, we focused on sharing the updates from KubeCon and ContainerNativeCon. The first session was from Krishna and Kumar in which they shared an overall update. Kumar attended the event a week before in Austin, so he shared his first-hand experience as well.
After that Dhilip and Irfan shared new features of Kubernetes 1.9. Towards the end of their session, we also discussed about Certified Kubernetes Administrator exam and the upcoming Kubernetes Application Developer exam. Post that Nikhita talked about her first KubeCon experience and CRDs.
In the second half of the event, we focused on the Kubernetes storage. In that, I shared details on Kubernetes Volume management.
After my session, Uma talked about Cloud-Native Storage and gave a demo of OpenEBS using StorageClasses, which I touched upon in an earlier session. The last session was from Karthik and Abhijit, who shared their first-hand experience to deploy Postgres in HA mode on Kubernetes.
Apart from the formal sessions, lots of interesting discussions happened during the break, post-event etc. There had been a lot of learning for all of us. Thanks to the Microfocus, meetup organizers, speakers and attendees to make this event a success.
We have also curated a list of presentations and videos from KubeCon and ContainerCon'17, which you can find here.